Sunday, April 5, 2009

One at a time, please

I saw some really stinky mistakes today while perusing a certain sporting goods store, which shall remain nameless because I have no idea what it was called.

The following line appeared on a bunch of TOILET SEATS that were emblazoned with the colors and numbers of some NASCAR drivers:

Drivers seat

And saw the following on a couple of seats that sported NFL colors and logos:

Coaches seat

I don't think those things are made for more than one person to use at once. The presentation was advertising plural drivers and plural coaches. What I mean -- for you non-grammar geeks out there -- is that the seats literally advertised that they were made for more than one driver and more than one coach.

What they should have been advertising was the singular possessive format -- that the seat belonged to one driver or one coach. The proper usage would be the following:

Driver's seat

Coach's seat

Of course, if drivers and coaches want to go two at a time, that's fine with me. I'm just glad they didn't have any in my team's colors. That would have been really embarrassing.

Now, I'm not going to get all riled about why in the world somebody would want to advertise his or her favorite team on a toilet seat. Seems to me you'd want the other team's logo for that. But that's a conversation for another blog.

No comments: