Wednesday, February 3, 2010

They 'Lost' the punctuation, too


I'm in heaven right now because I just watched the first episode of the final season of my all-time favorite show, "Lost." I don't have cable, so I had to watch it on abc.com. The story is so good I hardly noticed that the picture quality is only fair.

I bring this up because of an egregious punctuation error that I had to watch during several commercials. It was a Verizon/ABC ad. Here's the sentence:
Will the islands origins be revealed?
The word "islands" should be possessive, so there should be an apostrophe before the "s." Without the apostrophe, it's just plural. So the sentence doesn't make sense.

Understanding punctuation might seem so 20th century, but it means a lot when your message is going over the Internet for millions to see.

No comments: