Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Stop stereotyping journalists!

I'm reading another great novel by Jodi Picoult. This one is called "Nineteen Minutes," and it's as captivating as her other books. But like everything else, this book ain't perfect.

The story involves a high school student who kills 10 of his classmates after being bullied all his life. While in jail awaiting trial, he receives a letter from someone who says she's a graduate student researching the effects of bullying. It turns out that the letter writer is actually a reporter for Time magazine, trying to get a story. This is an old, sorry stereotype of journalists, and I wish writers would stop using it. I have never heard of a case of a reporter lying to get a story like this.

The fact that a popular, talented writer like Picoult would perpetuate this stereotype offends me. And it should offend all journalists. Yes, a few reporters have lied over the years. Yes, a few reporters have made up or plagiarized stories. But it seems like every time a journalist is a character in a novel or movie, he or she is portrayed as unethical. Can we please get some good journalists into the mix? After all, the overwhelming majority of journalists are ethical.

Please let writers know about this post. Thanks.

2 comments:

Nick DeCicco said...

You should watch the fifth season of "The Wire." It's about as close as I've ever seen to what it's like to work in a newsroom.

Noblesse Key said...

When I read your description, I was quite relieved. I am a journalist an d a copy editor as well I was having thought that I could not do the two things at the same time. But I guess I was wrong.

Following you now. How you could visit and follow me too.

noblessekey.blogspot.com