Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Links to student work

Teaching journalism can be frustrating, but it's worth it when students do well. I was reminded of this again today while listening to Colorado Matters, a locally produced news program on Colorado Public Radio. Host Ryan Warner interviewed UNC graduate Heath Urie, who now works for the Columbine Courier, about the digital TV tower proposed for Lookout Mountain. Listen to the interview. Urie was a journalism and mass communications major and served as editor in chief of The Mirror, the campus newspaper. He also has a great radio voice. Way to go, Heath.

My current students are also working hard. I showed them my blog Tuesday, and several showed interest in creating their own. Three are already up. Josh Rhoten has been blogging for a while, and his site is quite interesting. Ken Johnson discusses entertainment, and Ashley Dieterle talks about life in general.

I'm hoping theses students stick with it. I've read that blogging improves one's writing and makes journalists more marketable. I'm also hoping other students join in. We'll see.

3 comments:

JJ said...

WOOOOT!

i got mentioned!

Heath Urie said...

I owe it all to the great staff at UNC! For all you newbies, get your butts into a newspaper NOW and intern and write and work until the day you graduate. Otherwise, you will never get the job you want. But, try hard, work to improve yourself and dedicate yourself to the profession, and you will be among the best.

Heath Urie
Former student and editor UNC Mirror

quarkaddict said...

Oh, I LOVE being called a newbie. Thanks, uh, Heath. *snicker*